Sunday, August 24, 2008

Week Four

I'm getting back into old habits.

I wrote my first song when I was 13 and since have followed the pattern I used then. The music came first, then the music. I would usually leave spaces to have lines of words, knowing how long each part would be before I knew the topic of the song. My voice is limited, a fact of which I'm rediculously aware. This problem put together with the fact that I was dealing with a song that had a chord progression and at least one main melody before the words were written left me little options. Since Loch Berlin ended this year, I've focused on writing words first or at least at the same time as the music.

I fell off this wagon this week.

I have a song I'm really happy with, but I have no idea what the words will be. I saw a line in the newspaper that really caught my eye. "They turned to setting garbage on fire." Thing is, the song sounds pretty happy to me and that line is, or at least was about a group of murderous meth heads.

"Can we get ice cream?"
"We'll see."

No comments: